Re: Multithreading, again and again

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Multithreading, again and again
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:18:07 +0100

On 21 Oct 2011, SAKURAI Masashi uttered the following:

> At Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:17:46 -0400,
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Basically, Emacs uses a MVC approach and your work makes the controller
>> multithreaded but the viewer (which is implemented in C) is still single
>> threaded.
>
> I'm very interesting in the implementation of the event driven GUI and
> MVC approach. Where should I read the sources in the Emacs repository?

The split isn't that formal because Emacs predates even the first
academic descriptions of MVC by three years or so. But in a sense one
could consider the 'view' part to be the redisplay engine in xdisp.c and
dispnew.c (any thoughts on renaming that? It's not that 'new' anymore);
the model part is the Emacs datastructures that Lisp et al update, and
the functions that serve to keep them up to date, and the controller is
the Lisp, lisp evaluator, and assisting functions in C. The only really
solid part of this split is that nothing except redisplay draws to the
screen (except in extremis, e.g. crash messages).

--
NULL && (void)