Fundamental mode vs. special mode

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Fundamental mode vs. special mode
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:13:03 -0600

I come across a few instances where buffers are created in Fundamental
mode, for example *Shell Mode Output*. It would be convenient if those
were created in special mode, since then `q' (or `C-u q') would invoke
quit-window and bury (or kill) the buffer.

Or could we add a Fundamental mode map with a few basic commands, like
`q' (quit-window)? Special-mode could inherit from it.

WDYT?

Christoph