Re: Fundamental mode vs. special mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Fundamental mode vs. special mode
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 07:30:18 +0300

> In any mode, each key-sequence should do one well established thing, not
> performing alternate commands based on read-onlyness.  Exceptions should
> be justified individually.

But in read-only buffers, self-inserting characters are useless,
they can't do what they are intended for.  So why not allow them
to do more useful things, e.g. `q' to run `quit-window'?

Actually this is what `view-read-only' does when set to non-nil.
I don't propose to change its default value to non-nil now,
but at least it's worth thinking about.