Re: Fundamental mode vs. special mode

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Fundamental mode vs. special mode
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:49:16 +0000

Hi, Juri.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 07:30:18AM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:
> > In any mode, each key-sequence should do one well established thing, not
> > performing alternate commands based on read-onlyness.  Exceptions should
> > be justified individually.

> But in read-only buffers, self-inserting characters are useless, they
> can't do what they are intended for.  So why not allow them to do more
> useful things, e.g. `q' to run `quit-window'?

If by read-only buffers, you mean something like *info* or *Buffer
List*, then I agree with you.  But if we're talking about file buffers
which happen to be RO at the moment, then no - self-inserting characters
have the important function of beeping.

If we're going to be switching from "editing mode" to "command mode" for
self inserting keys (with C-x C-q or whatever), we might as well go the
whole hog and use vi instead.  Let's preserve the character of Emacs.

> Actually this is what `view-read-only' does when set to non-nil.
> I don't propose to change its default value to non-nil now,
> but at least it's worth thinking about.

view-mode is a distinct mode with its own distinct bindings.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).