RE: C-x 2 and C-x 3

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-x 2 and C-x 3
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:20:44 -0700

> > I agree.  The doc is more important than the command names.
> > If the doc is clear then users can understand easily.
>
> I doubt that it is about understanding. Rather remembering ... ;-)

It is not about remembering the command names, because you do not invoke these
commands using `M-x'.

Better _command_ names do not help you remember which _key_ is which.  (I agreed
with DDLHG that you "just learn C-x 2 splits one way and C-x 3 the other.")

That's why I added the example of `scroll-up-command', where, unlike `C-x 2|3',
the key _can_ be mnemonic.  (`C-x 2' is mnemonic only wrt the action of
"splitting" (presumably the rationale), but that's all.)

For commands that are generally invoked by keys, easy-to-remember keys are more
important than accurate command names, and most important for such keys is the
_doc_ (`C-h k').  If the doc leaves you wondering which way is up then it isn't
helpful enough.