Re: C-x 2 and C-x 3

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: C-x 2 and C-x 3
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:30:12 +0900

Jambunathan K writes:

 > > copy-window-below, copy-window-above,
 > > copy-window-right, copy-window-left
 >
 > One copies to an existing object. But clones (to) a new object.

Um, guys?  Copying is an implementation detail.  The purpose of the
command is to make a new window.  Given that Emacs nowadays provides
frames, the new window is *intended* to be juxtaposed to the old one
for these commands.  Since the geometry of the rest of the frame
doesn't change, the obvious descriptive operative verb is "to split".

As for the ambiguity of "horizontal" and "vertical", let's live with
it.  All it takes is C-h k C-x 2 (resp. 3) to disambiguate.

I have to admit I got a good chuckle out of C-u downstairs C-x 2.