Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:47:51 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:34:23 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > Alas, I think Emacs will not run under valgrind.
>
> XEmacs does (at least some versions have done so ;-) so it's not
> impossible in principle AFAIK.

Nothing is impossible in principle: this is software.  It just could
be impractical or extremely hard.

One of the problems is dumping, and that of XEmacs uses an entirely
different method AFAIK.  Maybe people should try running temacs
instead.

> Maybe valgrind technology has improved since you last tried, or
> maybe it only works on particular architectures, but I'm pretty sure
> a couple of people were able to valgrind XEmacs.

It definitely is worth trying again every now and then, yes.

If someone succeeds, please add the necessary know-how to etc/DEBUG.