Re: Reviving Gnus after suspend/hibernation

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Reviving Gnus after suspend/hibernation
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:33:44 +0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The Linux kernel definitely does not (and barring a NAT router, or
> a resume with a different IP, or attempted communication on the link
> while you're sleeping, the TCP connection will be faithfully waiting
> for us when we resume).

The other end will close it after a timeout. Usually 5 minutes.  So you
end up with a socket to nowhere, and need to wait another 5 minutes on
the local end for the timeout to find out the socket is not
working. This isn't just a problem during suspend/resume, it also
happens if the network disappears suddenly.

But this isn't the problem I've experienced with Gnus after
suspend/resume. Gnus apparently knows the socket is closed, as it
very quickly reports the connection failure and starts working in
offline mode.  What is missing is the ability to automatically reconnect
and continue, without going back to the Groups buffer and pressing M-g
(which inhibits the offline mode, as opposed to g, which doesn't).