url.el cookie policy

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: url.el cookie policy
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 23:06:19 +0100

I just discovered that Gnus has been setting (and returning) cookies for
the images that it fetches via `url-retrieve' and friends.  While this
is no catastrophe, it's probably not an information/tracking thing that
people would expect to happen when reading stuff via Gnus, I think.

However, switching this behaviour off in Gnus appears to be kinda
tricky.  Since `url-retrieve' (and friends) are asynchronous, and they
create new buffers, neither binding `url-cookie-untrusted-urls' to
`(".*")', nor setting it buffer-locally does the trick.

So I would suggest changing the default for `url-cookie-untrusted-urls'
to `(".*")' for Emacs 24.1, and then reworking the `url-retrieve'
interface (as previously discussed), and then let it take the cookie
setting thing as a parameter.