Re: Gnus version

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Gnus version
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:59:51 +0530

I was feeling so bored that I compiled a list. I deserve a T-shirt if
any of this goes through.

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
>  > Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>  >
>  > > "My Gnus", "Ms Gnus", "Mama Gnus", "Monster Gnus"?
>
> My Gnus  米 ("(uncooked) rice" Gnus)
>
> My Gnus  毎 ("every time" Gnus)
>
>  > It should be a Japanese word that should begin with an M and have a
>  > kanji equivalent that looks kick-ass on a t-shirt.
>
> "Mou Gnus"  網 ("network Gnus") is the obvious one, though I
> dunno if the kanji is kickass enough. :-)
>
> "Makoto Gnus"  誠 ("sincere" Gnus)  This will probably increase
> Japanese usage by 100% in 3 months. :-)
>
> "Mou Gnus"  猛 ("mad" (as in "mad dog") Gnus)  I like this one.
>
> "Mou Gnus"  盲 ("blind" Gnus)
>
> "Myou Gnus"  妙 ("odd" or "curious" Gnus).  The kanji is a
> little weak, though.
>
> "Mado Gnus"  窓 ("window" Gnus)  The kanji is definitely weak.

Many of the things that are listed above I see under
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%8Diku_kanji

Some of the M-pronunciations are under On. Some are under Kun. The
pronunciations are so different.

"Mu" is a popular word in zen circles - I believe - it means neither
good or bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29
Just pick the seal script for the letter - It looks so exotic.

>  > Tough criteria.  :-)
>
> Not really. :-)

Not in this age where information - not knowledge - is a commodity.

Algorithm is simple, go through the list below - searching for m - that
is it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_j%C5%8Dy%C5%8D_kanji

In the list below, I particularly like the following:

1353    紫       purple          murasaki
152     六       six             mu, mu-tsu, mut-tsu, mui
149     全       whole           matta-ku

672     惑       beguile         mado-u
674     惨-慘     wretched        miji-me
1859    難       difficult       muzuka-shii
1154    珍       rare            mezura-shii
1231    瞬       wink            matata-ku
1349    紛       distract        magi-reru, magi-rasu, magi-rawasu, magi-rawashii
1263    祭       festival        matsu-ru, matsu-ri
1708    迎       welcome         muka-eru
1966    咽       stuffy          muse-bu, muse-ru
2054    睦       harmonious      mutsu-majii, mutsu-mu, mutsu-bu
2076    臆       timidity        mune
2104    貪       covet           musabo-ru
2141    麺-麵     noodles         men, mugiko

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%8Diku_kanji
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_j%C5%8Dy%C5%8D_kanji
18      丸       circle          maru, maru-i, maru-meru
26      乱-亂     riot            mida-reru, mida-su
39      交       mix             maji-waru, maji-eru, ma-jiru, ma-zaru, ma-zeru
41      京       capital         miyako
54      以       by means of     mot-te
124     催       sponsor         moyō-su
145     免       excuse          men, manuka-reru
149     全       whole           matta-ku
152     六       six             mu, mu-tsu, mut-tsu, mui
364     基       foundation      moto, motoi
440     娘       daughter        musume
446     婿       bridegroom      muko
472     実-實     truth           mi, mino-ru
507     導       guide           michibi-ku
535     峰       summit          mine
542     巡       patrol          megu-ru
621     待       wait            ma-tsu
661     恵-惠     favor           megu-mu
672     惑       beguile         mado-u
674     惨-慘     wretched        miji-me
884     未       not yet         mi
991     水       water           mizu
1154    珍       rare            mezura-shii
1231    瞬       wink            matata-ku
1263    祭       festival        matsu-ru, matsu-ri
1349    紛       distract        magi-reru, magi-rasu, magi-rawasu, magi-rawashii
1353    紫       purple          murasaki
1408    群       flock           mu-reru, mu-re, mura
1444    胸       bosom           mune, muna
1508    蒸       steam           mu-su, mu-reru, mu-rasu
1617    謀       conspire        bō, mu
1708    迎       welcome         muka-eru
1859    難       difficult       muzuka-shii
1871    霧       fog             mu
1938    麦-麥     wheat           mugi
1966    咽       stuffy          muse-bu, muse-ru
2054    睦       harmonious      mutsu-majii, mutsu-mu, mutsu-bu
2076    臆       timidity        mune
2104    貪       covet           musabo-ru
2136    骸       dead remains    mukuro
2141    麺-麵     noodles         men, mugiko

;;; Local Variables:
;;; coding: utf-8-dos
;;; End: