Re: Subwindow terminology

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Subwindow terminology
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 16:05:17 +0100

> I don't see how a user would ever figure that out.

How not?  When you split a live window the old window doesn't become a
parent window since otherwise any existing references to that window
would get lost.  You can ignore this fact, then Emacs works for you out
of the box and you won't need a doc-string or manual anyway.

>  > In any case "subwindow" is a pretty common term
>
> Yes, and that's a bug-not-a-feature here, given that other usages are
> applicable to Emacs internals at the very least (and in XEmacs, we
> actually have GUI subwindows visible from Lisp as such, although you
> rarely see code that uses these features).

IIUC delete_all_subwindows is in XEmacs just as in Emacs and in addition
XEmacs has (or at least had)

(defun window-reduce-to-one (window)
  "Make sure only one subwindow of WINDOW is left."

martin