Re: VIRT_ADDR_VARIES

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: VIRT_ADDR_VARIES
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 09:44:21 -0800

On 11/08/11 14:06, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> Valgrind supplies its own allocator, but I didn't
>> > think it could move initialized data around.
> But the heap.

Sorry, I'm lost.  As I understand it, the
executable in a traditional Unix-like system has
storage laid out in this order:

  text (programs and read-only data)
  data (read-write initialized static data)
  bss (read-write zeroed static data)
  everything else

Valgrind has some control over the layout in
"everything else", but it can't affect the addresses
in text, data, and bss.  my_edata lives in "data",
so how can valgrind affect whether a pointer compares
less than my_edata?