Re: VIRT_ADDR_VARIES

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VIRT_ADDR_VARIES
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 13:05:04 +0900

Paul Eggert writes:

 > Sorry, I'm lost.  As I understand it, the
 > executable in a traditional Unix-like system has
 > storage laid out in this order:

We don't live in a traditional world anymore.  We have SELinux,
randomized base addresses, and the Hannibal Lector "Slice 'Em & Dice
'Em" version of GNU ld to deal with, as well as a few "legacy"
environments that don't deliberately try to mess with the heads of
people who used to use BASIC to "poke" 8080 instructions into memory.