Re: Windows' "split status"

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Windows' "split status"
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:37:23 +0100

> IIUC the window-splits mechanism properly, it goes to a bit of trouble
> to record the current value of `window-splits' in each window, when that
> window is split off.  This recorded value is retrieved when the window
> is resized or deleted.
>
> Why?  Why not just refer to the `window-splits' variable?  Since
> `window-splits' is a user option, I don't see any reason to regard it as
> a "sticky" property of a window.  Even if the user happens to change the
> value of `window-splits' midway through an Emacs session (which is a
> corner case anyway), there's nothing wrong with simply handling existing
> split windows using the new value, rather than whatever historical
> values of `window-splits' they possess.

Initially I didn't store that value.  But binding `window-splits' to
non-nil can be useful when you want to show with one command many
buffers on the same frame like in `Buffer-menu-select'.  If you think
it's not useful, I can easily restore the older version where I just
look at the value of `window-splits' (`Buffer-menu-select' could use
`balance-windows' as well).

martin