Re: Windows' "split status"

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Windows' "split status"
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:17:25 +0100

> How about a variation on this scheme: introduce a `max-children' window
> parameter which, if non-nil, determines the maximum number of children
> that a window can have (relevant only for internal windows).  For atomic
> and side windows, this window parameter would be explicitly set to 2.
> When the window parameter is nil or absent, the actual value would be
> determined by a user option `window-max-children'.
>
> That would make the behavior more explicit, I think.

Do I understand correctly that you want to get rid of the "nest" slot in
the window structur?  The problem with window parameters is that I
currently do save them together with a window configuration and restore
them when restoring the configuration.  Earlier, Stefan didn't want to
do that and I'd like to revert the current behavior at any time when
problems arise.  This would mean, however, that when you have a nested
window, dissolve it within a window excursion, and restore the initial
configuration, the nesting would get lost.  So I'd rather be on the safe
side in this regard.

OTOH, it's not entirely trivial to handle `window-max-children' during
recombination.  Suppose you have a configuration like

|    |    | W3 | W4 |

the user has set `window-max-children' to 3 and deletes W5.  How should
recombine_windows proceed?

martin