Re: May your change "Factor out lists of operators specially treated by

From: Samuel Bronson
Subject: Re: May your change "Factor out lists of operators specially treated by 'make-autoload'." be added to Emacs?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:44:24 -0500

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
> Samuel Bronson writes:
>  > Dear Stephen,
>  >
>  > I recently became aware that the following change is not present in
>  > GNU Emacs. I would like to see this rectified. Would it be possible
>  > for you to assign copyright on it to the FSF, if you have not already
>  > done so? (Pretty please, with a cherry on top?)
>
> I assigned my XEmacs code to the FSF around 1998.  If the assignment
> is not on file, I have my copy around somewhere.
>
> Note that the code that this patch patches was written by Ben Wing in
> 2005 (Mercurial r2548).  From the patch and the style I would say it
> was written by him from scratch.  So you're welcome to any snippets of
> mine that work with Emacs, such as the defvars, but the patch surely
> won't apply to Emacs, and you'd have to rewrite the parts that *use*
> the variables I defined anyway, as Ben never assigned his code.  He's
> often expressed willingness to do so under the right conditions; I
> don't know if this would qualify, but I suspect it would.  However, I
> don't know where Ben is at the moment, so tracking him down might take
> more effort than it's worth for the two or three uses of those
> variables.

While it's true that the patch won't quite apply cleanly, the
`make-autoload' functions appear to actually have the same structure
(including comments). A human could easily apply it it, making the
necessary adjustments for differences in the actual contents of the
lists. (I guess Ben already assigned copyright to the FSF?)