Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:58:25 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Paul,

> On 11/17/11 05:45, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> +#ifdef USE_GTK
>> +    /* FIXME: Deleting the terminal crashes emacs because of a GTK
>> +       bug.  See the thread starting with
>> +       <address@hidden> on emacs-devel.  */
>> +    if (terminal->type != output_x_window)
>> +#endif /* USE_GTK */
>> +      terminal->reference_count--;
>
> Could you please use a URL rather than a Message-ID?  The latter is
> hard for a random reader to follow.  Perhaps the URL
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-10/msg00363.html>
> is what is meant?  (Sorry, I can't easily tell.)

Yes, the Message-ID was the top-level message of that thread, but the
link you cite is actually where the important information drops in.

> Also, this code would be easier to read:
>
>     if (! (use_gtk && terminal->type == output_x_window))
>       terminal->reference_count--;
>
> with something like this near the start of the file:
>
>    #ifdef USE_GTK
>     enum { use_gtk = 1 };
>    #else
>     enum { use_gtk = 0 };
>    #endif

In my opinion, it's better to keep temporary workarounds for buggy
external libs as local as possible.  But I don't really care, as long as
it fixes the crashes.

Bye,
Tassilo
--