Re: Truncating scroll runs that copy to where we copied to

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Truncating scroll runs that copy to where we copied to
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 01:04:45 -0500

> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:50:07 -0500
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
>
> On Nov 20, 2011, at 7:19 PM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
> >  Then, the second line is displayed as `b' instead of `2'.
>
> Because nobody else replied:  I reproduced it easily and was shocked too see
> this.

I have no reasons to believe the test case will not reproduce the
problem.  The reply that is expected from me is whether the proposed
patch is correct or not, and for that it is not enough to confirm that
the test case is reproducible.  I don't have the answer yet.

FWIW, this code was not touched since Emacs 21.1 was released.  So
evidently the effects of this issue are quite subtle in practice.

> Please do fix this bug before the next release.

You can help if you explain in more detail what is wrong with the
current code.  That is what I need to assess the correctness of the
patch.  I hoped that Yamamoto-san would do that.  Failing that, I'll
need to figure it out myself, which will take more time, and thus will
have to wait a couple of days until I have that time to sit down and
look into this.  I do intend to do that, make no mistake.

> I have, lately, seen an occasional and elusive problem with the display of
> header lines (or the lack thereof) and am now wondering if this could be due
> to the same issue.  I'll wait and see.

It would be better to describe the problem you are seeing, if not a
recipe to reproduce it.

Alternatively, you could apply the patch and see if those problems
disappear.