Re: Memory again

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:59:49 +0100

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Another way would be to try using some other mode, not erlang or ido,
> and see if the memory grows similarly.

all memory sizes are what Activity Monitor reports as "Real Memory Size"

file a is 62b plain-text
file b is 170k plain-text

following sizes are in MB
fresh start, only *scatch*: 21.4
after loading ielm: 22
load file a: 22.1
load file b: 22.2
kill both files: 22.2
load files a + b: 22.3
Ido-enabled C-x C-f and then pressing Tab repeatedly increases memory
consistently. I did that up to 24.0 cancel'ing doesn't free the memory
of what I assume to be a temporary buffer owned by Ido C-x C-f

*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> (garbage-collect)
((117287 . 16644)
 (20499 . 0)
 (60 . 199)
 491281 365472
 (106 . 145)
 (90 . 231)
 (18999 . 4563))

ELISP> (garbage-collect)
((121212 . 19142)
 (20873 . 0)
 (115 . 186)
 514683 369639
 (106 . 173)
 (120 . 977)
 (20108 . 3643))

ELISP>

----------

same as above without Ido:
fresh start: 20.8
after M-x ielm: 21.4
load file a: 21.7
load file b: 22
kill both files: 22.0
load files a + b: 22.1
C-x C-f and then pressing Tab repeatedly increases memory consistently.
I did that up to 23.0. cancel'ing doesn't free the memory of what I
assume to be a temporary buffer owned by vanilla emacs C-x C-f this time
pressing C-g crashed emacs again. It just happens on Emacs --with-ns I
guess :).

forgot to save (garbage-collect) output in Ido-less test

If I have to make a guess, I'd say everything-is-a-buffer is the source
of the memory issues observed.