Re: --with-wide-int

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: --with-wide-int
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:52:57 -0500

>> So I expect the practical limit to be closer to 1GB.
> In practice the limit is a bit less than 2 GiB if you're editing
> one big file.  (I observed this just now, on Ubuntu 11.10 x86,
> by editing a 1947957328-byte text file.)

Read-only access to a single such file (i.e. starting a new Emacs
session for that file) is indeed not affected by fragmentation.

> Simple edits and incremental searches are fast;

I'd be surprised if non-simple edits (e.g. insertion of enough text to
overflow the gap and force a reallocation) works at all.
It's also to be expected that viewing such a 2GB file will fail if
you've already viewed a 1GB file in the same session.

I.e. 2GB files will work sometimes, but e.g. for Rmail-style uses (one
of the more convincing use cases, AFAIK), I don't think 2GB is
a realistic limit.

        Stefan