Re: auto-raise-mode and auto-lower-mode

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: auto-raise-mode and auto-lower-mode
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:14:24 +0900

Chong Yidong writes:

 > As for auto-lower-mode, it seems to interact badly with Metacity,
 > leaving the window permanently unraisable.  I have no idea what's going
 > on there.

Metacity makes its own rules, or at the very least, assumes that
applications will conform to a very narrow interpretation of the
ICCCM.  In particular, it expects that applications will remember a
lot of things about window management state that the ICCCM allows the
window manager to enforce, and it ends up negotiating and even
executing *program* requests despite the fact that Metacity should
know that the *user* wants something else.  Maybe this is related.
Specifically, even though you may not be able to raise the window
using Metacity, perhaps it is possible to forcibly raise it from
elisp?

Since it's the standard WM in GNOME, I guess you have to cater
to it.

Does it matter whether the build is GTK-based or other-toolkit-based?