Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 05:54:36 +0200

> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:48:54 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
> I ran config.status, hoping to avoid the 10 minutes it takes to run
> configure on my machine, since I did that yesterday.

If you want to avoid running configure as much as possible, but still
run it when necessary (to avoid breaking the build), always run
"make".  It will run configure for you when needed (by the virtue of
rules in GNUMakefile), or run config.status, or none of them at all,
getting directly to compilation and linking.