Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:36:56 -0500

> Some of this problem comes back the 2011-03-20 patch that added
> the autogen subdir.  That patch also made --enable-maintainer-mode
> the default, which wasn't an integral part of the autogen stuff

Actually, I think it is an integral part: the old setup did not need
maintainer-mode because the configure file was auto-updated by "cvs/bzr
update", but since this file is not under revisions control any more,
maintainer-mode is needed to keep the file up to date.

> Another part of the problem is that even if I use "configure -C",
> "make" sometimes invokes "configure" without -C, which is
> reeeeally slow.

That needs fixing, then.

        Stefan "whose office desktop is a Fit-PC2"