Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 00:48:40 -0500

>>> date afterwards.  So either way, the maintainer-mode dependencies
>>> do not help and are not needed.
>> I don't think I can agree with this statement until it gets refined to
>> more specific dependencies.
> Here's the complete list of dependencies enabled by maintainer-mode:

>   configure: configure.in aclocal.m4
>   aclocal.m4: m4/gl-comp.m4
>   lib/Makefile.in: aclocal.m4 lib/Makefile.am lib/gnulib.mk

> autogen.sh runs autoreconf, which updates aclocal.m4,

autogen.sh is expected to be run once after checking out a new tree.
After that, "make" should take care of rebuilding configure if/when
needed, so the dependencies all seem right.

> configure, and lib/Makefile.in (in that order).  So,
> after autogen.sh is run, the dependencies are already
> satisfied, and "make" does not need them and they do
> not help the build process.

Indeed in this situation they don't help but neither do they hurt.
And they do help when you run "make" after configure.in was modified.

        Stefan