Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 15:42:50 -0500

Paul Eggert wrote:

> It's vital sometimes, but usually not.  For example, if you look
> at the last 10 changes to configure.in (in bzrs 106255 through 106559),
> only one (bzr 106532) has any relevance to any of the platforms that we
> routinely develop Emacs on.

That's a call you're qualified to make, but not everyone who builds
Emacs from bzr is, or will expect to have to. So, again, my opinion is
that if you find these delays annoying, you should
disable-maintainer-mode for your own use.

I agree that the term "maintainer-mode" is now confusing, and that it
would be good to either remove the option altogether, or rename
--disable-maintainer-mode to --enable-loose-dependency-checking or
somesuch. But such a change doesn't seem suitable for 24.1.