Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 21:53:40 -0500

Paul Eggert wrote:

> admin/make-tarball.txt step 5 says that when making a pretest or
> release tarball, one should edit configure.in so that maintainer-mode
> is off by default.

It means, or was meant, to say, _maybe_ one should do that. The issue
had not been decided at the time that was written, so that note was
really intended as a reminder to think about the issue before the next
release. Based on the cited discussion from March, personally I think it
is more correct to leave it on even in release tarfiles, so that note
could just be deleted now.