Re: Corrected tarballs for Emacs 23.2 and 23.3

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Corrected tarballs for Emacs 23.2 and 23.3
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:55:49 -0500

Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> For some reason, lisp/cedet/{ede,semantic,srecode}/loaddefs.el
>> are being regenerated when building Emacs from the 23.3b tarball.
>> The new files have about twice the length of the ones that are
>> distributed.
[...]
> Looks like the rebuild is triggered because the timestamps of all
> files in the 23.3b tarball have changed. (But I guess there must also
> be something wrong with the make rules, because the loaddefs files
> resulting from such a rebuild should be the same as before.)

It's a bug in Emacs-23 that is not present in the current trunk.
To reproduce in emacs-23 branch:

cd lisp
make autoloads
touch cedet/semantic/decorate/mode.el
make autoloads

Now there is a duplicate entry for mode.el in cedet/semantic/loaddefs.el.
I guess it is a bug in autoload-find-destination or
autoload-file-load-name that has since been fixed.

> Gentoo will continue distributing the 23.3a tarball, because 23.3b
> would cause increased build times for our users and changes to
> unrelated installed files.

The timestamps in 23.3b are indeed messed up. I was going to suggest
some kind of fix involving touching various files, but frankly it is
probably a whole lot simpler to simply start from the 23.3a tarfile, and
just patch the etc/grammars directory with that from 23.3b, if you care
about having those files. Or distribute a separate package
emacs23-something that just adds them to an existing installation. Then
zero extra build time! :)