Re: texinfo-master-menu and emacs.texi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: texinfo-master-menu and emacs.texi
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:19:27 -0500

> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 03:20:08 -0600
> From: "Roland Winkler" <address@hidden>
>
> The texinfo manual says about "Updating Nodes and Menus"
>
>   If you do not use the updating commands, you need to write menus
>   and node pointers by hand, which is a tedious task.
>
> The emacs command texinfo-master-menu (used with a prefix arg) is
> supposed to do that; according to the doc string it updates all
> existing nodes and menus. Yet when I run this command on emacs.texi,
> this brings emacs.texi into a format that makes makeinfo rather
> unhappy. What is going on here?

It would help if you'd show the error messages from the "unhappy"
makeinfo.  As things are, I need to guess, and my guess is that
texinfo-master-menu does not support multi-file manuals.  It only
works on a single buffer.  At least I don't see in its code any hints
that it does have the ability to gather all the multiple files which
constitute the ELisp manual, using the @include directives or some
such.

My advice is to use texinfo-update-node and texinfo-make-menu on
individual nodes or groups of nodes as you go; that's what I do.
Unless your manual is on a single large file, in which case I expect
texinfo-master-menu to just work.

> Or is there a more sophisticated way of updating nodes in an
> automated fashion that works even for something like emacs.texi?

What I advise above is AFAIK the "more sophisticated way".