Re: C Mode possibility: optionally disabling K&R function headers. WDYT?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: C Mode possibility: optionally disabling K&R function headers. WDYT?
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:53:11 +0000

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 08:40:38AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Solving this bug is difficult.  One way would be just to disable K&R in
> > C Mode, except when explicitly enabled by the user.  After all, K&R
> > parameters have been obsolete for over 10 years now.

> > The key sequnce to toggle it would be C-c C-k.

> > Can anybody think up any reasons why this would be a Bad Thing.  Does
> > anybody feel particularly strongly about this?

> I think introducing a config var to disable K&R would be great
> (especially since IIUC it is a source of trouble, including peformance
> trouble).

I'm thinking more of a buffer local toggle.  There're going to be times
when some hacker suddenly comes across a file with K&R function decls and
will want to be able to toggle it effortlessly.

> I don't see any need for a key-binding to toggle it, tho.

Maybe, maybe not.  But it wouldn't do any harm.  (There are 11 spare C-c
C-<letter> bindings still unused in CC Mode.)

> And I'd rather keep it ON by default for 24.1.

That's fine.  But I was more thinking of it as a new feature than a bug
fix, and thus for CC Mode 5.33 / Emacs 25.  I've no particularly strong
feelings as to the default; I think it should be OFF eventually, but
leaving it ON to begin with seems sensible.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).