Re: Suggestion to indicate fixed version when closing a bug

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Suggestion to indicate fixed version when closing a bug
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 14:28:39 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
>> When you close a debbugs.gnu.org report as fixed, I suggest indicating
>> the version in which the fix was applied.
>
>Why is this important?

A couple of reasons:

People who are either experiencing the bug or trying to reproduce it can
quickly figure out, just from looking at the bug report, whether they
should be expecting the bug or not.  (This is especially useful for
identifying regressions.)

Also, it's useful for those who are following the bug and are curious to
see how it was fixed.  If their only entry point is the bug report
itself, they can quickly go from that to the diff that will satisfy
their curiosity (which is good for Emacs because it promotes code
review, and in the long run draws people into becoming developers).

-Karl