Re: Aligned blocks management: obsolete?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Aligned blocks management: obsolete?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:38:53 -0500

> Is it still required to maintain the cache of aligned blocks
> to workaround poor malloc behavior? I believe an attached
> example should perform well (i.e. allocate ~4K blocks without
> ~4K holes between them) on top of any non-ancient glibc (no
> ideas about other system malloc implementations, BTW).

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting we change.
If you're talking about BLOCK_PADDING (which we don't actually use
right now since it defaults to 0), then we could probably just remove
it, but I'm not sure what would be the benefit (other than the handful
of source lines it removes, of course).

        Stefan