Re: gtk3, emacs 24 and gnome shell

From: Benjamin Redelings
Subject: Re: gtk3, emacs 24 and gnome shell
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:00:23 -0500

Tassilo Horn wrote:
Andrea Crotti <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andrea,

> Using gnome3 with the gnome shell on archLinux and a self-compiled
> version of emacs 24 compiled against gtk3, pressing Ctrl-z on the
> emacs makes it unusable.

I've unset C-z, but that's `suspend-frame', right?  If I do

  M-x suspend-frame RET

(or C-z in emacs -Q) the emacs frame is minimized, and I can get it back
via the GNOME 3 Overview or the application switcher.  It's as usable as
it was before.  So it seems to work just as expected.
I have the same problem that Andrea had.  If I use C-z (or M-x suspend-frame) then
(1) the window is minimized
(2) I can get it back by clicking on the emacs icon in the overview
(3) the menus work, but I cannot enter or edit any text any more.
 + I can even select checkboxes in the menus, and I can save the file from the "File" menu.
 + However, the text-entry area is frozen.
    - The scroll-bar will not scroll.
    - I can right-click on the text-entry area and change the current buffer from *scratch* to *Messages*, but the status bar is not updated to reflect the changes to *Messages*.  Interestingly, the 'Lisp-interaction' menu item disappears, so I think that the buffer really is changed to *Messages*, but the buffer is just not displayed.

If I click on the minimize button on the frame decoration, emacs is minimized, and is usable after the emacs icon is clicked on again.

Using -Q makes no difference.

I'm using emacs 23.3 and gnome-shell 3.2.1.

Did you attempt to enter any text after you "got it back"?  If so, then perhaps this means that emacs 24 does not suffer from this problem.

-BenRI