Re: gtk3, emacs 24 and gnome shell

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: gtk3, emacs 24 and gnome shell
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 08:07:34 +0100

Hello.

This has been fixed in trunk (i.e. upcoming 24.1). It wont be fixed in Emacs23 as no more 23 releases are planned.

Please try the tunk, you can get it by following the instuctions at http://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs.

        Jan D.

Benjamin Redelings skrev 2011-12-13 22:00:
Tassilo Horn wrote:
Andrea Crotti<address@hidden>  writes:

Hi Andrea,

>/  Using gnome3 with the gnome shell on archLinux and a self-compiled/
>/  version of emacs 24 compiled against gtk3, pressing Ctrl-z on the/
>/  emacs makes it unusable./

I've unset C-z, but that's `suspend-frame', right?  If I do

   M-x suspend-frame RET

(or C-z in emacs -Q) the emacs frame is minimized, and I can get it back
via the GNOME 3 Overview or the application switcher.  It's as usable as
it was before.  So it seems to work just as expected.
I have the same problem that Andrea had. If I use C-z (or M-x
suspend-frame) then
(1) the window is minimized
(2) I can get it back by clicking on the emacs icon in the overview
(3) the menus work, but I cannot enter or edit any text any more.
+ I can even select checkboxes in the menus, and I can save the file
from the "File" menu.
+ However, the text-entry area is frozen.
- The scroll-bar will not scroll.
- I can right-click on the text-entry area and change the current buffer
from *scratch* to *Messages*, but the status bar is not updated to
reflect the changes to *Messages*. Interestingly, the 'Lisp-interaction'
menu item disappears, so I think that the buffer really is changed to
*Messages*, but the buffer is just not displayed.

If I click on the minimize button on the frame decoration, emacs is
minimized, and is usable after the emacs icon is clicked on again.

Using -Q makes no difference.

I'm using emacs 23.3 and gnome-shell 3.2.1.

Did you attempt to enter any text after you "got it back"? If so, then
perhaps this means that emacs 24 does not suffer from this problem.

-BenRI