Re: Memory again

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 05:50:17 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> But right now, having had emacs up for a few days, and only opening 10
>> small files with the aid of emacsclient, emacs's RSS is 130M.  It had
>> climbed up to 400M before I most recently killed it.
>
> What version of Emacs is that, and on which OS?
>
> FWIW, my Emacs runs for many weeks if not months, has about 250 to 300
> buffers of various sizes, and never exceeds 200MB (usually levels out
> at 170MB).

I have a similar experience.

>> By the way, the dismissal of this being a real problem because emacs can
>> always reuse the fragmented memory either
>
> I don't think there's much fragmented memory in real-life use (barring
> bugs).  The test cases that exhibited a lot of fragmentation are all
> toy examples that don't really happen.

The case I described was real, although seldom happens here. I can think
of typical scenarios where buffer size grows to large sizes: ERC
sessions, files monitored with auto-revert(-tail)-mode... Even cases
where the user makes a mistake that creates huge buffers (visiting a
GNUs group with tens of thousands on unread messages, for instance.)

Taking a selfish stance, I don't care about this problem because it is
not harming me, but your response and Stefan's looks a lot like hand
waving. Yes, it probably is hard to fix and there are more profitably
tasks, but it *is* a real problem, not something a user made up for
chatting about memory allocators on emacs-devel.