Re: Memory again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:52:19 -0500

> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:38:24 +1100 (EST)
> From: Tim Connors <address@hidden>
> cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > > Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:52:23 +1100 (EST)
> > > From: Tim Connors <address@hidden>
> > > Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> > >
> > > But right now, having had emacs up for a few days, and only opening 10
> > > small files with the aid of emacsclient, emacs's RSS is 130M.  It had
> > > climbed up to 400M before I most recently killed it.
> >
> > What version of Emacs is that, and on which OS?
>
> debian stable, debian package version 23.2+1-7
>
> (version) returns:
>
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
> 2011-10-26 on trouble, modified by Debian

Next question: what optional packages are loaded?  (AFAIR, debian
systems are notorious for loading gobs of stuff in their site init
files.) Also, what memory footprint do you get if you start from
"emacs -Q" and then load all those "10 small files" you mentioned in
the original report?  If you get a comparably large RSS, try to find
out which of the files/modes has the greatest effect on the memory
footprint.

Finally, can you recollect or retrace what caused the RSS to climb
from 130MB to 400MB?

> I should be able to upgrade to testing's 23.3+1-4 pretty easily when I
> have a spare moment, but I don't imagine there's too many patch
> differences between the 2 versions.

I would suggest to try the latest pretest of Emacs 24 (24.0.92 as of
this writing).  The Emacs 23 branch is closed for development, and
unless someone reports some catastrophe with the 23.x series, will not
be reopen.  Any memory-related bugs we find will be fixed in Emacs 24,
so it makes sense to first establish if the same problems exist there.

Thanks.