Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:03:19 +0200

> From: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:46:31 +0100
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>

> 17 dec 2011 kl. 09:32 skrev Eli Zaretskii:
>
> > Now, this part of the backtrace:
> >
> >  #4  0x00285202 in Fx_own_selection_internal (selection_name=27744162,
> >  selection_value=39954401) at nsselect.m:425
> >       ev = {
> >         kind = SELECTION_REQUEST_EVENT,
> >         code = 0,
> >         part = 1771886,
> >         modifiers = 0,
> >         x = 0,
> >         y = -1396380776,
> >         timestamp = 1,
> >         padding = {0x4, 0x1a6ba22},
> >         frame_or_window = 27783754,
> >         arg = 27703842
> >       }
> >       pb = (id) 0x0
> >
> > indicates that pb comes out as NULL and gets put into ev.x as zero.
> > So the question is: what is selection_name, whose value is 27744162,
> > and which caused symbol_to_nsstring to return NULL?
>
> My guess is that symbol_to_nsstring does not return NULL, but
> NSPasteboard pasteboardWithName: does.
>
> NSPasteboard knows only of a few specific pasteboards ("General",
> "Selection", "Secondary", etc.) so if isn't one of those, it returns NULL.

I'm way out of my league here, since I don't really know Objective C,
but isn't this code in symbol_to_nsstring:

  if (EQ (sym, QCLIPBOARD))     return NSGeneralPboard;
  if (EQ (sym, QPRIMARY))     return NXPrimaryPboard;
  if (EQ (sym, QSECONDARY))   return NXSecondaryPboard;
  if (EQ (sym, QTEXT))        return NSStringPboardType;
  return [NSString stringWithUTF8String: SDATA (XSYMBOL (sym)->xname)];

return _something_ that is not NULL even if the symbol is not one of
the 4 explicitly mentioned?

> I think selection_name is a symbol, but not the ones the NS-port map to
> pasteboard names, i.e. not one of PRIMARY, SECONDARY or CLIPBOARD.
>
> It would be great to find out what it is though.

Agreed.