Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)

From: René Kyllingstad
Subject: Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:25:16 +0100

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 17:52, Carsten Mattner <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:
> AFAIK, the Mac port uses Carbon, and is based om Emacs 23, i.e. no Emacs 24
> features (like multitty).

Sounds like the Mac port should be obsolete and deprecated as
Carbon is deprecated and I'm not even sure it's in Lion anymore.

This is alas a common misunderstanding about the Mac port.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-11/msg00424.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-11/msg00499.html

The Mac port hasn't been integrated because none of the maintainers are particularly interested nor knowledgeable about the mac platform, and the author of the port has not pushed for it.

So instead of a rock solid port where the author knows _exactly_ why every line of code is the way it is, we have a crashy mess nobody wants to spend any time on. Yay.

-- René, happy user of the Mac port on Lion (though I spend most of my Emacs time on GNU/Linux)