Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:42:57 +0100

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 1:38 AM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> All of this prompted me to try harder to make the terminal emacs
>> session as usable (key bindings and other non flashy things) as the
>> graphical one.  I don't really use graphical features anyway and
>> have to --disable-FOO on Xorg.  Hey, nyan-mode works in text-mode
>> too :).
>
> I'd recommend that for your important tasks.  But it would be
> appreciated if you could try the NS port for the tasks where crash is
> not so critical and send bug reports.

Sure. I'm surprised you endorse the NS port instead of the Mac or Aqua
ports :-).

> BTW, Terminal.app bundled with Lion is also linked with the Carbon
> framework, so if you really want to avoid Carbon as much as possible,
> then it would be better to use another terminal emulator.

I use iTerm2.app and xterm.
The comparison doesn't hold as the OSX gui frontend of GNU Emacs
is not as well maintained and tested as the X frontend.
Therefore it makes a difference which future path is selected and
limited resources are used for. If Carbon is deprecated and we already
have a Cocoa frontend, enhancing that seems like a better plan to me.

Would you consider porting over missing bits into the --with-ns frontend?