Re: Memory again

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 19:39:15 -0500

>>> Thanks...  The leaks command indeed reports zero leaks now.  however,
>>> emacs still grows every time I invoke vm.  here is a memory report
>>> which I get after killing all buffers, when emacs is 214 Mb large (as
>>> seen in the Activity Monitor).   is this normal?
>> As I'm not a vm-user I can't really say.  But it sounds like something is
>> not released back to the OS.
> how does one go about diagnosing this?  is it possible to tell if this
> an elisp problem or a c-problem?

The GC stats you posted indicate that the GC knows of about 27MB of data
(10MB of which is actually unused but can't be returned to malloc due to
fragmentation) which doesn't account for the 214MB you mention.  So it
looks like that data is held by the C code.

Of course, I don't know what the 214MB represent, if it is resident set
size, then there really seems to be a leak, whereas if it's the total
virtual size, it may also be an artifact of various other things.

        Stefan