Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:44:56 +0800

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> 2. New Babel syntax: Eric Schulte went through a rich discussion with
>    the Org Mode folks to simplify the syntax of code blocks.  Releasing
>    Emacs 24.1 with the old syntax would expose many users to bad habits
>    and force us to strongly suggest using latest Org instead of the one
>    that comes with Emacs.  No one would benefit from this.

Please provide some more information about the plan for Org development.
Suppose we merge 7.8.02 into trunk; what assurance would we have that,
within months, the Org team wouldn't switch tack and "strongly suggest"
the latest Org containing yet more features, rather than 7.8.02?  That
would defeat the purpose of a feature freeze.