Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 10:17:05 -0700

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'd suggest you setup a regular "merge from Emacs trunk".  So your
>> "maint" branch can simply be the Emacs trunk.
>
> Not sure I can parse this correctly.
>
> Your suggestion is to create a branch on org-mode.git that contains
> the latest org* files from the Emacs trunk?  Then to patch the Emacs
> trunk with patches that go into that branch?
>
> Thanks for further explanations!

I believe the suggestion is to increase the frequency of merges with the
Emacs trunk s.t. every Org-mode major release is also a merge with the
Emacs trunk.  Then we have no need for a release-specific maintenance
branch *and* a branch tracking the Emacs trunk as they will be one in
the same.

I do think that (after the feature freeze) a tighter coupling between
the Org-mode and Emacs development repositories with more frequent and
less dramatic merges would be a good thing.  Although I don't know how
much manual work is required to accomplish each merge.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/