Re: gnutls for win32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gnutls for win32
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:10:14 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 09:13:35 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 06:50:12 -0500 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> EZ> FWIW, I've built GnuTLS 3.0.9 natively on Windows, using MinGW and
> EZ> MSYS.  I will make the resulting binaries available shortly, as soon
> EZ> as I'm done testing it with Emacs.
>
> Do you want to work with Christoph Scholtes to make a GnuTLS W32 build
> part of the Emacs W32 build?

Sorry, I don't understand: what is the "GnuTLS W32 build part of the
Emacs W32 build"?  Emacs on Windows can already be built with GnuTLS.

> That would be terrific and we wouldn't have to tell our users to
> download an extra DLL every time.

GnuTLS is more than just one DLL.

> That allows us to make the choice of whether we should keep in sync with
> the latest GnuTLS or refresh occasionally.  Testing will be harder if we
> keep in sync, but has obvious benefits for both projects.

Unless there are known serious bugs, I see no particular reason to
upgrade to the next GnuTLS version, let alone keep in sync all the
time.  It adds unnecessary overhead to people involved in providing
the binary packages.  (E.g., it took me 2 days of my precious time to
build GnuTLS with MinGW, due to various complications and outright
bugs in the GnuTLS configury.  Why would I need to go through that
every month or so?)  Staying a whole major revision behind is indeed
undesirable, which is why I made the effort of building the latest
release.