Re: GnuTLS for W32 (was: gnutls for win32)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32 (was: gnutls for win32)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 03:47:03 -0500

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:54:56 -0500
>
> I think nowadays it's a really good idea to include GnuTLS to encrypt
> network connections within Emacs.  Unlike image libraries, opening
> network connections unencrypted or through tunneling programs can
> actually expose secret user data and introduces many unpleasant bugs and
> workarounds, *especially* on W32.  I think the download size is tiny
> either way by today's standards, but I understand the bloat concern.
> Can we download and install the GnuTLS opportunistically, e.g. through
> a GNU ELPA package?

Why are we talking only about Windows?  Do packages of Emacs 24
development snapshots on GNU/Linux come with GnuTLS in the same
package?  If they do, then I agree that the Windows binaries should
also include GnuTLS; but if not, I don't see why Windows should be
special in this regard.  We don't want to confuse users by providing
functionality only on some platforms.