What's in a feature? (was: Periodical releases)

From: Bastien
Subject: What's in a feature? (was: Periodical releases)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 19:18:26 +0100

Well, I am not in favor of a fixed calendar, a strict release
cycle -- or whatever looks like it, like strong deadlines.

While thinking again about it, I guess the problem lies in the
meaning of "feature" -- since this meaning can go from very little
things to core functionalities, there is no real test for each new
"feature" to know whether discarding it is a safe move or a silly
one.  And this leaves the door open for too many discussions.

So perhaps we could have three "feature freeze" steps: one for core
functionalities, and another one for features that depends on big
components like Gnus, Org, ERC, etc., and a last one for the rest
of the code.

Just a suggestion.

--
 Bastien