Re: Periodical releases

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Periodical releases
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:23:11 -0500

> The solution for that is to let it evolve in a branch for longer than
> one release cycle while merging finished changes to the release
> branch and deliver those features sooner.

I agree with Eli's explanation here (you can take the lexbind branch or
the concurrency branch as another example), but there's a more positive
way to look at it:

Take the "trunk" as the branch on which we do those long-term changes,
while the "emacs-23", or "emacs-24" branch is the stable branch from
which we make "regular" releases.

If you take this point of view as a starting point, you might come up
with suggestions for changes which we may be able to implement.

        Stefan