Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:29:44 -0500

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:42:11 +0100 Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

ÓF> As far as I'm concerned, there are two sane options here: suppose that
ÓF> the user is a geek, advertise GnuTLS support citing the dll requirement
ÓF> finishing with "now that's your problem". The other approach is to do
ÓF> the job from Emacs, do it well, and automatically download and upgrade
ÓF> the dll from Elpa.

If those are the only two options, obviously the second one is better.

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 15:22:18 +0100 Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

ÓF> Sharing the gnutls dll is so wrong at some many levels that I wont
ÓF> start discussing it.

I am puzzled by this.  Why is it wrong to share the GnuTLS DLL?

If you and Eli and other W32 experts say a standalone self-updating
installer that drops a shared GnuTLS DLL in a common area is a bad idea,
I won't argue.  But you have to at least explain your reasoning.

Ted