Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 20:45:22 +0100

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 20:21, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

> For a Windows binary package to be robust, it must be as self-contained
> as possible. Quality-wise, one of the best decisions I ever made was to
> distribute the C/C++ MS runtime dlls along with the rest of my binaries,
> no matter they are already installed on virtually all MS Windows
> machines. Certain long-standing, very nasty bugs simply went away.

Assuming you're right, that seems like a wonderful side project. Why
not start a project to build a prepackaged Emacs binary installer for
Windows? Aside from installing DLLs, it could set up other things
(after asking the user, of course), like CUA mode, and other binaries,
like a better ftp than the standard one.

I do really believe that a user-friendly installer for Windows is a
good idea. I strongly *don't* believe the Emacs project should bear
the load of it.

    Juanma