Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: chad
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:47:02 -0800

On Jan 4, 2012, at 2:12 PM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> LMI> I don't really see that the ELPA solution really helps much here.
> LMI> Wouldn't it be easier just to include the gnutls DLL in the Emacs zip
> LMI> file?  Problem solved.  :-)
>
> I'm concerned about GnuTLS updates after the install.  An ELPA package
> could do that, a simple DLL drop couldn't.

Reading through the thread, it seems likely that there are two main groups of
W32-GnuTLS-interested parties:  those that almost never update a `working'
emacs (ala Drew Adams' report about of emacs 21.3 users), and those that update
very frequently.  I'd guess that a `stable emacs' w32 installer would be very
helpful for the former (and agree with Juanma that it would be good for emacs
use in general), while I'd expect the other group to be more comfortable with
piecemeal updates of emacs/packages/DLLs/etc.

If this guess matches reality, then I have a suggestion:  by policy put the
DLLs with the binary, make the installer DTRT, and then add some sort of
`update alert' facility that checks ELPA to notify users about new versions.
This facility would not necessarily update the software itself, but would
notify users that a new version of the software exists, along with notes about
the changes (especially the severity of the changes) and instructions for
updating.  The installer-based default would only (somehow) bug the user about
severe problems (such as security breaches for GnuTLS), pointing them at a new
installer.  Users who opted in could be notified of all changes (perhaps
displaying ChangeLogs or vc status messages at the far end).

*Chad