Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 20:11:44 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:17:12 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I could say that your real-world experience distributing, installing
> >> and supporting software across heterogenous environments looks quite
> >> limited, but I'll rather suppose that you were very lucky so far.
> >
> > You can call 7 years of safe use on 4 different machines luck if you
> > want.  I call it discipline and following safe practices.
>
> Wait a minute. You are basing the points you so vehemently defend on
> just personal experience with your own machines? Does that make sense at
> all? Do you think that people is so disciplined and knowledgeable (and
> lucky!) as you and that makes all the problems you don't have to become
> irrelevant for Emacs?

Most "people" do not install multiple packages, such as MinGW and
MSYS, that could potentially conflict on the same machine.

And yes, I think my experience is fairly common to those who do.

> That last paragraph of yours speaks tons about our different stances on
> this issue. It is my direct responsability to keep my software up and
> running for hundreds of users across dozens of sites and configurations
> on machines I don't control, quite a few of them playing a critical
> role, and deal with bug reports from tens of thousands of users
> more.

Does that involve installing MinGW and MSYS/Cygwin on the same
machine?  Or mixing MSVC 6 with MSVC 13?

> Acting as if the experience I gather from my desktop were enough
> to set the bar for the rest of world would be so foolish

I never set that this bar is for everyone.  For the umpteenth time: BY
DEFAULT THE DLLS SHOULD GO TO THE SAME DIRECTORY AS EMACS.EXE.  Let go!