Updating copyright years (was Re: [gnus git] branch master updated: n0-1

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Updating copyright years (was Re: [gnus git] branch master updated: n0-17-447-g55c26cf =1= Add 2012 to FSF copyright years for Emacs files.)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 08:05:39 +0900

+Cc: address@hidden

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> writes:

>>     Add 2012 to FSF copyright years for Emacs files.

Cf.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.diffs/112565
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.cvs/11711

> Should this be done for files that haven't changed?

As for emacs-w3m and others I update the copyright years on a file
only when having changed it for the first time in the year.  But
Emacs people seem to have been updating it at the beginning of
every year regardless of having been changed or not.  And as for
those changes I worked as an engineer to merge changes made in
Emacs and Gnus mutually (I've also updated some extra files, e.g.
gnus-xmas.el and friends, though).

I used to feel Emacs' way strange.  Maybe updating the copyright
years of Walt Disney's works every year is nonsense.  But Emacs'
way is alike to it.  What is TRT?